Merimbula (NSW Australia)
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing – Merimbula
Merimbula is a beach town located on the South Coast of NSW (approximately 580km (7 hours drive) east of Melbourne and 526km (6 hours drive) south of Sydney) which swells in population with tourists during summer.
The town has a nice beach-culture vibe to it and with some fabulous kitesurfing & windsurfing spots within easy reach making Merimbula a great base for a windsurfing or kitesurfing holiday.
There is no shortage of accommodation options, restaurants, clubs, bars and cafes plus some good shopping as well.
For non-sailors or when the wind fails to blow there are so many things to do in and around Merimbula, The list includes fishing, scuba diving, snorkelling, surfing, supping and there is a beautiful golf course on the outskirts of town. There are also plenty of parks and play areas for the kids as well as kids activities.
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Spots in Merimbula
- Main Beach Merimbula is one of the most popular spots in Merimbula for both Kiters and Windsurfers. This spot is where they host the long-running Merimbula Classic wave sailing comp which has been going since 1980. When the wind blows from the NE, the water is pretty flat and the waves / shore-break relatively small which is ideal for beginner Read more...
- The Fish Pen is on the inside of the spit at Merimbula and can be good for short-run flat water blasting on a high-tide with a NE breeze. However be aware of hazards such as oyster beds and fishing boats moving along the channel. Launch from Fish Pen Road to the south of the bridge. This area can also be Read more...
- Short point can be a good wave sailing spot in a NE breeze for kiters & windsurfers. The beach can be quite busy with suntanners during summer so you will need to walk up the beach a bit to launch and kiters will need to go further up the beach to rig & launch. There is also a flat water Read more...
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Spots near Merimbula
- Wallagoot Lake in Bournda National Park, is about 20km (15 mins drive) north of Merimbula on the NSW South Coast. The lake is partially tidal (although can be cut-off from the ocean for long periods) and the water brackish in colour. If you are looking for some flat water blasting this spot can be good in a S/SE or NE/E Read more...
- This spot is great in a NE breeze and when the wind is right you will usually find a few locals here. Best launching spot is from the beach from behind the Seahorse Inn and you will also find parking next to the Inn. At the end of a session the Inn is a great place to have a beer Read more...
- A good spot for small to medium waves in a NE breeze however can also work with a N and NN. Park at the Lions Park Lookout and rig/launch from the adjacent sandy beach. There is several accommodation options including camping grounds in the area but this place could also be accessed from Merimbula which is only 15 mins away. Read more...
There is a good variety of accommodation in Merimbula including Holiday Parks, Motels, Apartments and Holiday Homes. Prices can get pretty steep (and availability an issue) in the peak summer period from Christmas to mid Feb but otherwise they can be reasonable outside of this period. So if you are looking to head here over the peak summer peroid be sure to book in advance.
- Star Rating:
The Granduer Apartments offer basic apartment-style accommodation in 1, 2 or 3-bedroom apartments accommodating 2 – 7 guests. These apartments are ideally located with direct beach access where you can rig up a windsurfer at the back of the apartments and then walk via the sand track to the main beach. It is also jus a very short walk to Read more...
- Star Rating:
The Merimbula Beach Holiday Resort is located just 5 mins walk to one of Merimbula’s most popular surf-beaches; Short Point. They offer a variety of non-smoking self-cater cabins with private bathrooms for 2 – 8 guests. The cabins have living areas with TV and some have private balcony with a spa bath and views of the ocean. The camping-style resort Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Family Friendly
- Kids Facilities
- Some Nightlife
- Vibrant Nightlife
- Accommodation Nearby
- Non-Sailor Activities
- Cheap Accommodation
- Solo Male Traveler
- Solo Female Traveler
- Romantic Couple
- Family With Infant(s)
- Family With Young Children
- Family With Teenager(s)
- Male Group
- Female Group
- Mixed Group
- Flat Water
- Sandy Beach
- Beach Swimming
- Scuba Diving
New South Wales
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>