Mallacoota (Victoria, Australia)
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing at Mallacoota in Victoria
Mallacoota is a small tourist town located in far eastern Victoria approximately 515 km (6 hours drive) from Melbourne.
The town is blessed with an incredible inlet & lake providing for some great windsurfing & kitesurfing opportunities including speed sailing, bump-and-jump and wave sailing options.
There are 3 main sailing areas for windsurfing & kitesurfing:
1. On the lower lake it is good for flat water blasting and bump-and-jump in anything except easterly. If you are after super-flat water, you can sail (or hire a boat) over to the northern side of the Goodwin Sands (which is a sand island only a foot or so high), where you will find a mirror flat speed strip which works best in a SW but also S & NE.
For SW & S breeze (and to sail to the speed strip), park, rig & launch at Karbeethong where there is a big grassy area for rigging.
For NE/N/NW launch from Stingray Point just past Angophora Drive (or also S/SW for blasting across the lake).
You can also launch from the Mallacoota foreshore camping grounds but there’s heaps of sand bars, and it’s pretty hard going until you get to deep water on the north side of Rabbit Island (which is quite a way out).
2. The river mouth can also be good flat-water sailing in a S, SE breeze depending on the tides, current and the sandbars as they are constantly changing.
3. For those who like waves and the ocean Bastion Point is said to be awesome with a nice point break when it’s on! If you are into long-distance sailing, in a southerly you can blast along the coast to Tullaberg Island (7km) or Gabo Island (14km). There are always plenty of boats around if you get in trouble.
When To Visit
Whilst sailing here is possible all-year-round, the most reliable winds are during the warmer months from late September to early March.
Where To Stay
Mallacoota has a number of holiday homes/apartments, cabins & villas, bed & breakfasts as well as a fabulous pet-friendly foreshore holiday park and a couple of other caravan parks. Because of the abundant wildlife in the area, most accommodations don’t cater for pets.
Other Things To Do
Mallacoota is far more than just a great windsurfing / kitesurfing spot. When the wind isn’t blowing there is great fishing in the lake for flathead or bream. Surfing, lake & sea kayaking, SUPping, mountain biking, snorkelling, scuba diving, relaxing walks along the beach and around town, boat cruises to Gabo Island to visit the seals & penguins, river & lake cruises are just a few of the other things to do at Mallacoota.
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Spots In Mallacoota
- Mallacoota is located in far Eastern Victoria. The river mouth is suited to kite boarders (and to a lesser degree windsurfers due to the shallow water) looking for flat water sailing in shallow water with a sandy bottom. It is a great spot to kite amongst the sandbars and you can camp near the sailing area. The ideal wind direction Read more...
- Goodwin Sands is a fabulous spot for windsurfing & kitesurfing on the lower lake at Mallacoota in Victoria. When the wind blows from the SW, this spot has a glassy-flat speed strip of about 1km long. The speed strip can also work in a SSW and S breeze but SW is the best direction for a blasting to and fro Read more...
- Karbeethong is a small suburb of Mallacoota located on the western side of the lower lake (about 5 mins drive out of town). This spot is more ideal for windsurfers as there is very little area for kitesurfers to rig. It is ideal for flat-water-blasting, bump-and-jump and foiling in a SW breeze. It can also work in a SSW & Read more...
- Stingray Point is located on the lower lake at Mallacoota (about 1 km out of town) just past Angophora Drive. I had read about this spot on Seabreeze however I think in recent times the installation of a bike track has removed the ability to park along Lakeside Drive. There is however a small dirt pull-off right on the point Read more...
- Bastion Point is located on the ocean just south of Mallacoota township (about 1 km). This spot is suited to windsurfers and kitesurfers who want to ride the waves. There is a point break around the rock wall of the harbour which is said to be quite good when it is on. The best wind direction here would be SE Read more...
Where To Stay In Mallacoota
- Star Rating:
Blue Waters Holiday Cottages are located just a short drive from the Mallacoota village. They are located in the Karbeethong area close to one of the main windsurfing launch spots at Mallacoota. These self-contained cabins are ideal for couples with all cabins being 1 bedroom with a double bed. The cabins have a kitchen/kitchenette, dining area and lounge area with Read more...
- Star Rating:
Shady Gully Caravan Park is located in Mallacoota in far Eastern Gippsland. The park also offers self-cater cabins of various standards catering for 2 – 6 guests. There are studio cabins & 2 bedroom cabins with a double bed and bunks on other rooms. Each cabin has a kitchen with fridge & microwave, dining & lounge area with seating and Read more...
- Price Range:
The Mallacoota Foreshore Holiday Park is located right on the water in Mallacoota in East Gippsland. The park is the perfect place for windsurfers & kitesurfers as you can pretty much launch from the front of the park. It is one of the largest in Victoria and offers powered and un-powered sites for tents, campers, RV’s and caravans and has Read more...
Video of Goodwin Sands
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Family Friendly
- Kids Facilities
- Accommodation Nearby
- Non-Sailor Activities
- Solo Male Traveler
- Family With Infant(s)
- Family With Young Children
- Family With Teenager(s)
- Male Group
- Female Group
- Mixed Group
- Flat Water
- Sandy Beach
- Beach Swimming
- Scuba Diving
- Mountain Bike Riding
- Boat Cruises
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>