Lancelin (WA, Australia)
Lancelin (also referred too as “Lano”) is one of Western Australia’s best windsurfing and kitesurfing destinations and is located just 1.5 – 2 hours drive north of Perth.
The area offers flat water sailing in turquoise blue lagoons through to sublime wave sailing.
This destination offers something for everyone including beginners.
Lancelin is famous for holding the longest-standing windsurfing & kitesurfing event in the world; the Lancelin Ocean Classic. See more information here
The town of Lancelin is primarily based around fishing (mostly cray fishing these days) and with a population of around 700 people it has a real sense of community.
Best Time To Visit
The best wind is from October through to March (peak winds are Nov, Dec & Jan) when the trade winds blow consistently and reliably almost every day. The wind tends to be off-shore in the morning (S, SSE), changing to cross-off-shore (from the left-hand-side – SSW, SW) in the early afternoon.
The best chance of swell is in November and March however you can score some 2 – 3 metre days during the other summer months but they are more ad-hoc.
The water temps during summer are generally above 20 Deg C to 25 Deg C with air temps around 23 Deg C reaching up to 30 Deg C.
Things are pretty quiet in Lancelin during the week-days so be prepared to entertain yourself.
On the weekends, The Endeavour Pub comes to life with weekend visitors; this is the place to hang out to meet some of the locals. If you stay at the Lancelin Lodge it is quite social and you will meet like-minded kiters & windsurfers.
The town has a pizza shop, chicken shop and fish and chips but don’t expect any up-market restaurants.
During the week, most things shut down by 8pm.
If you stay at the Lancelin Lodge, then there are always like-minded kiters enjoying a beer in the common areas in the evenings and that is where we had the most fun! The Lancelin Beach Hotel is also a good spot for a drink and some food too if you are in the northern end of town.
Kitesurfing & windsurfing spots in & around Lancelin
The crystal clear turquoise waters of Lancelin are mostly flat with waves further out on the outer reef. The bay is nicely shallow, perfectly suitable for the beginners. The reef goes on for about a half a mile off the shore.
Lancelin offers 4 good spots for you to enjoy…..
In the unlikely event the wind doesn’t kick-in or for those non-sailors, Lancelin has plenty of other activities.
One of the most common activities is to explore the massive sand-dunes for which Lancelin is famous for. You can access via 4WD or jump on a 4WD tour. Sandboards are available for rent for those who want to ride the dunes.
Fishing, snorkelling, surfing, SUPping, dolphin watching are other great activities in Lancelin.
There is also a golf course on the outskirts of town.
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Spots
- For those that love flat-water-blasting, the Lancelin Lagoon located in Lancelin is ideal for both windsurfers and kitesurfers. Expect screaming runs up-and-down the lagoon with the opportunity to hit a wave at either end of the lagoon. Crystal-clear, turquoise blue water which is ideal for beginners and freeride / slalom sailors. Due to the shallow waters and the reef, foiling Read more...
- South Passage is a wave riding spot with very similar conditions to “Main Break” located at Lancelin. The waves tend to be longer and less punchy here. South Passage is a pretty popular amongst the windsurfers and kiters and can get quite busy on weekends (but barely anyone mid-week). The wind tends to be mostly cross-off-shore from the SW to Read more...
- Main Break is a popular wave riding spot for windsurfers and kitesurfers in Lancelin approximately 1.5 to 2 hours drive north of Perth in WA. It is best to get out early in the mornings on this point-break. As the wind increases in the afternoon the water becomes more choppy and turbulent to the point that the waves become non-existent. Read more...
- Lancelin Back Beach is just opposite Edward Island located in Lancelin approximately 1.5 – 2 hours drive from Perth. This spot is popular for windsurfers and kiteboarders wanting to sail flat water on turquois-blue water when the swell is low. As there is no outer reef at this spot, is is also popular with surfers due to its shore-break. This Read more...
Lancelin isn't a major tourist destination so accommodation options are limited to a couple of motels/lodges, a caravan park, and a few private holiday house/apartment rentals.
The stand-out is Lancelin Lodge which is most commonly used by visiting kitesurfers and windsurfers.
- Star Rating:
- 0-5 mins walk
- Private Bathroom
- Child Friendly
- Outdoor Pool
- Communal Lounge Area
- Communal Kitchen
- BBQ Facilities
- Car Parking
Lancelin Lodge is an upscale backpacker lodge located just 400m from the beach in Lancelin WA. It is very popular for windsurfers and kitesurfers visiting the area. Rooms include double rooms with private bathrooms, family rooms, bunk & dorm rooms, private rooms with shared bathroom facilities and cots are available free of charge. Facilities include an outdoor seasonal pools with Read more...
General Windsurfing Overview
Lancelin Ocean Classic Event
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Family Friendly
- Some Nightlife
- Accommodation Nearby
- Non-Sailor Activities
- Cheap Accommodation
- Solo Male Traveler
- Solo Female Traveler
- Family With Infant(s)
- Family With Young Children
- Family With Teenager(s)
- Male Group
- Female Group
- Mixed Group
- Flat Water
- Warm Water
- Sandy Beach
- Sailing Centre(s)
- Equipment Rentals
- Beach Swimming
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>