Lancelin (WA, Australia)
Lancelin, also known as “Lano” is one of Western Australia’s best windsurfing, wing foiling/wingding and kitesurfing destinations. Located just 1.5 – 2 hours drive north of Perth on the Indian Ocean Drive.
The area offers everything from flat water blasting and freestyle conditions in turquoise blue lagoons through to sublime wave sailing. Lano is blessed with consistent winds making a mecca for windsports addicts and an ideal place to stop on a road trip or surfari.
This destination offers something for everyone, including beginners foiling.
With a permanent population of around 700 people, Lano has a real sense of community. Outside of Lano’s roots in the fishing industry, mostly cray fishing, Lancelin is also famous for holding the longest-standing windsurfing & kitesurfing event in the world; the Lancelin Ocean Classic. See more information here
Best Time To Visit
The best time to visit Lancelin for windsurfing is during the Australian summer, which typically occurs from December to February. During these months, Lancelin experiences more consistent winds and warmer temperatures, creating ideal conditions for windsurfing, kiting and wing foiling. The afternoon prevailing winds in the region are generally from the southwest (from the left-hand-side, SSW to SW), providing good cross-shore winds for windsurfers, kiters and foilers. In the mornings, the wind tends to be off-shore in the morning (S to SSE).
Wind strength can vary, but the summer tends to offer a good balance for both beginners and experienced windsurfers, kiters and wing dingers.
Outside of the December through to February window, you will also have a good chance of scoring good conditions between October and March.
The best chance of swell is in November and March however you can score some 2 – 3 metre days during the other summer months but they are more ad-hoc.
The water temps during summer are generally above 20 Deg C to 25 Deg C with air temps around 23 Deg C reaching up to 30 Deg C.
Things are pretty quiet around Lancelin during the week-days so be prepared to entertain yourself.
On the weekends, on the other hand, The Endeavour Pub comes to life with weekend visitors; this is the place to hang out to meet some of the locals. If you stay at the Lancelin Lodge it is quite social and you will meet like-minded wing-dingers, kiters & windsurfers.
The town has a pizza shop, chicken shop and fish and chips but don’t expect any up-market restaurants.
During the week, most things shut down by 8pm.
If you stay at the Lancelin Lodge, then there are always like-minded kiters enjoying a beer in the common areas in the evenings and that is where we had the most fun! The Lancelin Beach Hotel is also a good spot for a drink and some food too if you are in the northern end of town.
Kitesurfing, wing foiling & windsurfing spots in & around Lancelin
The crystal clear turquoise waters of Lancelin are mostly flat with waves further out on the outer reef. The bay is nicely shallow, perfectly suitable for the beginners. The reef goes on for about a half a mile (800 Meters) off the shore.
Lancelin has several local spots, to get whatever fix you need:
- Back Beach – Popular for windsurfers and kiteboarders wanting flat water on turquois-blue water when the swell is low.
- Main Break Lancelin – Classic point break wave spot, get there early when there is a decent swell, leave it too late and it gets choppy.
- South Passage – South Passage is a cross-off wave riding spot.
- Lancelin Lagoon – Flat water bliss, expect to be blasting at blistering speeds on flat water. Great spot for beginners.
In the unlikely event the wind doesn’t kick-in or for those non-sailors, Lancelin has plenty of other activities.
One of the most common activities is to explore the massive sand-dunes for which Lancelin is famous for. You can access via 4WD or jump on a 4WD tour. Sandboards are available for rent for those who want to ride the dunes, highly recommended!
Fishing, snorkelling, surfing, SUPping, dolphin watching are other great activities in Lancelin.
There is also a golf course on the outskirts of town.
If you want to head out of town, you could also consider a quick trip to the Pinnacles.
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Spots
- For those that love flat-water-blasting, the Lancelin Lagoon located in Lancelin is ideal for windsurfers and kitesurfers. Expect screaming runs up-and-down the lagoon with the opportunity to hit a wave at either end of the lagoon. Crystal-clear, turquoise blue water which is ideal for beginners, freestylers, freeride and slalom sailors. Due to the shallow waters and the reef, foiling is Read more...
- South Passage is a wave riding spot with very similar conditions to “Main Break” located at Lancelin. The waves tend to be longer and less punchy here. South Passage is a pretty popular amongst the windsurfers and kiters and can get quite busy on weekends (but barely anyone mid-week). The wind tends to be mostly cross-off-shore from the SW to Read more...
- Main Break is a popular wave riding spot for windsurfers and kitesurfers in Lancelin approximately 1.5 to 2 hours drive north of Perth in WA. It is best to get out early in the mornings on this point-break. As the wind increases in the afternoon the water becomes more choppy and turbulent to the point that the waves become non-existent. Read more...
- Lancelin Back Beach is just opposite Edward Island located in Lancelin approximately 1.5 – 2 hours drive from Perth. This spot is popular for windsurfers and kiteboarders wanting to sail flat water on turquois-blue water when the swell is low. As there is no outer reef at this spot, is is also popular with surfers due to its shore-break. This Read more...
Lancelin isn't a major tourist destination so accommodation options are limited to a couple of motels/lodges, a caravan park, and a few private holiday house/apartment rentals.
The stand-out is Lancelin Lodge which is most commonly used by visiting kitesurfers and windsurfers.
- Star Rating:
Lancelin Lodge is an upscale backpacker lodge located just 400m from the beach in Lancelin WA. It is very popular for windsurfers and kitesurfers visiting the area. Rooms include double rooms with private bathrooms, family rooms, bunk & dorm rooms, private rooms with shared bathroom facilities and cots are available free of charge. Facilities include an outdoor seasonal pools with Read more...
General Windsurfing Overview
Lancelin Ocean Classic Event
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Family Friendly
- Some Nightlife
- Accommodation Nearby
- Non-Sailor Activities
- Cheap Accommodation
- Solo Male Traveler
- Solo Female Traveler
- Family With Infant(s)
- Family With Young Children
- Family With Teenager(s)
- Male Group
- Female Group
- Mixed Group
- Flat Water
- Warm Water
- Sandy Beach
- Sailing Centre(s)
- Equipment Rentals
- Beach Swimming
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>