Ilot de Maitre, Noumea (New Caledonia)
Ilot de Maitre
Ilot de Maitre is a 600m long thin island surrounded by a vast shallow lagoon of sand and reef. Access is provided by a number of small ferries that depart regularly from Anse Vata Bay. The ferry ride is approximately 15 minutes and they are used to carrying kite gear at no extra charge.
Consistent south easterly trade winds and blue lagoon like water provide ideal conditions for flatwater freestyle. The wind direction at the launch beach is onshore.
The launch area is along the length of the island down one side that faces south easterly. The other side of the island has resort accommodation and jetty for the ferries
There is always room to launch the kite. The weekends can get very busy with kiters.
Non sailing family members can snorkel along the western facing side of the island, where there is an abundance of tropical fish, as well as turtles to swim beside. Snorkelling equipment can be hired from the ferry terminal at Ansa Vata Bay before embarkation. There is also a restaurant and swimming pool on the island, and for those that can afford it, accommodation huts on stilts out on the water. The western side of the island is sheltered from the south easterly trade wind, so sunbathing and reading is comfortable.
- Very flat water at all states of tide
- Turquoise water
- Space to launch on a long sandy beach
- Consistent south easterly trade winds
- It is possible to kite in a variety of wind directions as it is an island so the wind is clean
- Ideal location to learn to kite.
- Becomes very shallow at low tide
- Can become crowded on a good day
- Keep an eye out for turtles.
Ilot de Maitre suitable for beginner to advanced kitesailors.
Its sheltered, shallow waters make it a safe and ideal place to learn kite surfing.
For the more advanced riders the location is ideal for freestyle along the shore-line and long-distance cruising back towards the mainland.
There are a couple of kitesurfing centres in the Noumea area so if you are looking to rent gear or for a lesson, here are your options...
- Kiting tuition and hire is available through kitesurf Attitude, a school is located on the Le Meridien Hotel Beach. The courses take place on the islets of Ilot de Maitre and Islet Goéland, just 10 and 20 minutes from the Le Meridien, which are accessed by speedboat. These two islets are ideal for beginners and improvers. The teaching takes place Read more...
- Noumea Kite School offers group & private lessons as well as equipment rental from half a day. Group Lessons Classes are held on the Master Island or the Island Gull. These 2 spots are excellent for learning because we have foot everywhere, can sail on a flat water with a steady wind. The departures take place every day between 8h Read more...
There are a dozen or so hotels to chose from in and around Noumea however the best located hotels for those wanting to sail that are within walking distance to the main launching areas are as follows ....
- Star Rating:
The Chateau Royal Beach Resort & Spa is located with direct access to Anse Vata Beach, just a couple of minutes walk from sailing launch areas. The hotel offers a variety of deluxe self-cater suites for up 5 guests. There is 3 restaurants & 3 bars to choose from as well as direct access to the casino. The fitness centre Read more...
- Star Rating:
If you are looking for a luxury romantic sailing holiday you can’t go past Le Méridien Nouméa Resort & Spa. This 5-star resort hotel is located right on the water’s edge just a couple of minutes walk to all of the main launching sites. There is a variety of rooms & suites of various standards catering for up to 3 Read more...
- Star Rating:
The Nouvata hotel is located across the road from the beach however it is about 5 km from most of the main launching areas (back towards Noumea) on Anse Vate Bay. They offer free parking so if you have a car this won’t be an issue. The hotel offers a variety of rooms catering for up to 3 guests from Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Flat Water Blasting
- Bump and Jump
- Flat Water
- Warm Water
- Salt Water
- Public Toilets
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>