Meridian Beach, Noumea (New Caledonia)
Meridien Beach & Aquereve Beach, Noumea
The main kitesurfing launching areas are Meridien Beach and Aquereve Beach located at the eastern end of Ansa Vata Bay.
This is also the launch spot for those that want to kite out to the island of Ilot de Maitre located approximately 3km off shore from Ansa Vata Bay or you can catch the ferry out there with your gear and launch from there.
The Meridien Beach is located just in front of the Meridien Hotel at the eastern end of Anse Vata Bay. Consistent south easterly trade winds and blue lagoon like water provide ideal conditions for flatwater freestyle. The wind direction at the beach is cross – off-shore due to a spit with a helicopter pad.
Aquareve Beach is a few minutes’ walk and upwind of the Meridien Beach heading east. This beach also provides extremely flat water with a more onshore wind. If the wind has more easterly in it then it is more cross shore and less offshore and gusty compared to the Meridien Beach.
- Flat water at low to mid tide
- Blue water
- Space to launch on a sandy beach
- Close to the hotels for accommodation and refreshments
- Consistent south easterly trade winds
- Sandy seabed
- Becomes very shallow at low tide
- Less suitable for inexperienced kiters to launch.
Meridien Beach is best suited to intermediate to advanced kiters, because the cross offshore angle of at the launch site and the proximity of a helicopter pad to the left means the kite schools take their students a little further out to sea in the lagoon of Anse Vata Bay. The wind is strong and the water very flat.
There are a couple of kitesurfing centres in the Noumea area so if you are looking to rent gear or for a lesson, here are your options...
- Kiting tuition and hire is available through kitesurf Attitude, a school is located on the Le Meridien Hotel Beach. The courses take place on the islets of Ilot de Maitre and Islet Goéland, just 10 and 20 minutes from the Le Meridien, which are accessed by speedboat. These two islets are ideal for beginners and improvers. The teaching takes place Read more...
- Noumea Kite School offers group & private lessons as well as equipment rental from half a day. Group Lessons Classes are held on the Master Island or the Island Gull. These 2 spots are excellent for learning because we have foot everywhere, can sail on a flat water with a steady wind. The departures take place every day between 8h Read more...
There are a dozen or so hotels to chose from in and around Noumea however the best located hotels for those wanting to sail that are within walking distance to the main launching areas are as follows ....
- Star Rating:
The Chateau Royal Beach Resort & Spa is located with direct access to Anse Vata Beach, just a couple of minutes walk from sailing launch areas. The hotel offers a variety of deluxe self-cater suites for up 5 guests. There is 3 restaurants & 3 bars to choose from as well as direct access to the casino. The fitness centre Read more...
- Star Rating:
If you are looking for a luxury romantic sailing holiday you can’t go past Le Méridien Nouméa Resort & Spa. This 5-star resort hotel is located right on the water’s edge just a couple of minutes walk to all of the main launching sites. There is a variety of rooms & suites of various standards catering for up to 3 Read more...
- Star Rating:
The Nouvata hotel is located across the road from the beach however it is about 5 km from most of the main launching areas (back towards Noumea) on Anse Vate Bay. They offer free parking so if you have a car this won’t be an issue. The hotel offers a variety of rooms catering for up to 3 guests from Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Flat Water Blasting
- Flat Water
- Warm Water
- Salt Water
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>