Sotavento Beach (Fuerteventura)
Sotavento Beach Windsurfing
Sotavento Beach is a 1km long sandy beach and one of the world’s most iconic windsurfing locations. It is effectively a windsurfing resort, as not only does it possess excellent wind and water conditions, but the world’s largest windsurfing centre attached to two very well equipped hotels, the Hotel Melia Gorriones, and the Sol Beach House Melia.
A key feature that enhances the allure of Sotavento beach is its protected 4km long and 200m wide training lagoon. This is a tidal lagoon that fills up with enough water to windsurf for approximately half the days in every month. Each cycle is about six days long, Therefore the lagoon is usable for six days before it becomes dry for six days before refilling again. The lagoon provides the ideal training ground for beginners and improvers, while the more experienced use the open sea on the other side of the protective sand bar.
On the open sea side the huge 1km long white sandy beach has plenty of room for windsurfers and kiting. There are separate zones for both sports as well as for swimming, so as to ensue order and safety. The windsurfing centre is ideally located on the beach, where it has direct access to the open sea as well as the lagoon. The centre is only 200m from the hotels resort.
The sailing conditions are excellent. The prevailing north-east trade wind receives a double acceleration effect from the hills making the wind substantially stronger and therefore creating a superb freestyle, speed and slalom spot. Generally the winds are lighter in the morning before picking up midday or early in the afternoon.
The water in the open sea is flat at low tide with a small chop at high tide. There can be a small shore break, and occasionally waves up to 2m depending on the sea swell, with the water surface in between the waves smooth. The training lagoon is always flat.
Annually the PWA slalom racing World Cup comes to Sotovento Beach in July where the world’s best racers compete at the very highest level and provide a terrific spectacle.ABILITIES:
Beginners and improvers in the mornings. Intermediate and advanced freeride/slalom/freestyle in the afternoons on the open seaPOTENTIAL HAZARDS:
It can get very windy, and the wind is cross offshore. The wind is often gusty.
- The ION CLUB Risco del Paso is located right in the middle of the bay and to the left hand side of the parking area. Equipment Rentals: The centre is equipped with the latest Duotone boards and kites, and shares the premises with the windsurfing rental. Lessons: The centre provides kitesurfing tuition and courses for all levels, including private as Read more...
- The Rene Egli centre is one of the biggest and best stocked kitesurfing centres in the world! It is located directly beside the tidal lagoon in the palm tree garden of the Hotel Meliã Gorriones. Rental Equipment: The centre is always stocked with the newest Cabrinha Kites & Boards; with no less than 350 kites and 120 kiteboards. All setups Read more...
- The ION CLUB Risco del Paso is located right in the middle of the bay. Equipment Rentals The centre is located on the left hand side of the parking area. The centre is equipped with the latest Fanatic freeride, freestyle and wave boards, as well as a variety of Duotone Sails. For beginners there are fifteen Fanatic Viper school boards Read more...
- The Rene Egli windsurfing centre is now the biggest windsurf centre in the world with over 450 boards, and over 1000 sails, all current models. Located on the 1km beach, the centre is just 200m from the Meliã Gorriones Hotel and the Sol beach House Melia. It is also the venue for the World Cup which takes place in July Read more...
There are two excellent 4 star hotels at Sotavento Beach, the Hotel Meliá Gorriones and the newly opened Sol Beach House Fuerteventura Resort with its unique beach-house ambiance. Both hotels are right at the windsurfing and kitesurfing locations.
The other option is to stay in one of the many hotels in Costa Calma. The Rene Egli centre runs a regular shuttle service to and from Costa Calma.
- Sol Beach House is a brand new complex in 2019 offering a variety of studio-style rooms for 1 – 3 guests. The hotel is located right next door to the Melia Fuerteventura and has direct beach access. Rooms have satellite TV, terrace and private bathrooms. The hotel has an outdoor pool and guests have access to all of the facilities Read more...
- Melia Fuerteventura is located absolute beachfront on Sotavento Beach so it is ideally located within walking distance to kite & windsurfing zones. The hotel is family friendly and offers single, twin & double hotel rooms as well as family rooms for up to 2 adults plus 3 children. All rooms are air-conditioned and have a private balcony. There is a Read more...
- This hotel is located right on Costa Calma beach with spectacular views. Rooms cater for 1 – 3 guests and vary from twin/double and a variety of suites with separate sitting areas right up to a presidential suite. All rooms have private bathroom facilities; some with a bath. All rooms have a balcony or terrace and some rooms have ocean Read more...
- The SBH Fuerteventura Playa Hotel is located right in the beach in Costa Calma and only 300 m from the main shopping area. This family friendly hotel offers twin, double and triple rooms all with private bathrooms complete with a bathtub. Rooms have a terrace/balcony and a seating/tv area. The hotel represents good value as all meals and selected beverages Read more...
- Star Rating:
Bahai Calma Beach offers studio, 1 & 2 bedroom bungalows & apartments catering for 2 – 5 guests. They are ideally located only 200m from the beaches of Costa Calma. All apartments are self-cater and have dining and living areas with seating & television The complex has 2 swimming pools and a terrace ideal for lounging around on those lazy Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Flat Water Blasting
- Bump and Jump
- Longboard Cruising
- Intermediate Wave Sailing
- Flat Water
- Small Waves
- Open Sea
- Warm Water
- Salt Water
- On-site Parking
- Free Parking
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>