Pozo (Grand Canaria)
Pozo Beach Windsurfing
Pozo is one of the world’s most famous high wind locations, primarily due to its consistent high winds that blow over 20 knots (force 5) 200 days of the year. It is primarily a place best for dedicated windsurfers, as Pozo itself is quite small.
Pozo village offers a good infrastructure for windsurfers, with a few gear shops with rental options, apartments for rent, gear storage, restaurants and bars, and two little super markets.
Quite a bit of money has gone into developing the windsurfing facilities at Pozo more recently. This includes an area to support the annual PWA World Cup windsurfing event, including a new grandstand, parking areas, equipment cleaning basins and outside lighting.
However, there isn’t a great deal to do for non-windsurfers! As there is no ATM, a bus or hire car is required to find such amenities a few kms away.
For those that want to stay in the busier resorts to the south close to Bahia Feliz, both the Bjorn Dunkerbeck Centre and Fanatic Boarder Centre, which are located at Bahia Feliz Bay 12kms away, provide day trips to Pozo with equipment to use, subject to demand. This way windsurfers can sail Pozo by day but also enjoy the holiday resort lifestyle offered further south by night, as well as have access to lots of other activities.
Pozo is fortunate to receive trade winds throughout the year. The island is blessed with an acceleration effect as the winds squeeze around the outer perimeter of the island, due to the almost circular geography of the island and its mountains with a height of 2000 meters. This has the effect of often accelerating and even doubling the wind strength in Pozo. This phenomenon, which is also called a “crash barrier effect”, can cause wind speeds of around 30 to 40 knots in summer in Pozo, but due to local geographical conditions, far less in Bahia Feliz area 12km further south west along the coast.
The high season is during the summer months (June till September) with wind 80% – 90% over force 5. Pozo and the nearby spots work best during the summer, because the trades are blowing from a stable north eastern direction. The trades can be disturbed sometimes when hot Sahara air arrives and the wind can stop completely. During the summer months it’s hard to get any wind further south than Ketchup (Castillo de Romeral). In the off season (winter) at Pozo the wind is quite good with a percentage of 40 – 60% above 15 knots (force 4).
The best waves occur during the winter months with regular north east trade winds or north winds. The waves can get big, and are good for jumping and backside wave riding, as well as frontside for the pros!
The beach is rocky, and it is best to keep to the left when unfamiliar with the conditions, and be careful at low tide. There is a rocky area called the bunker where it is difficult to make it in and out, especially when the tide is up and there is a big shore break.
However, Pozo is not always wavy. There are many days with small waves and bump and jump conditions and even some flat water days.
During the summer months it is rare to use sails bigger than 4.7m.
Best Suited To
- Advanced bump and jump sailors
- Expert wavelsailors and Pros
- It can get very windy.
- Rocks at low tide
- Big shore break at high tide
- Stony launch area
Pozo Beach Kitesurfing
Kitesurfing is not allowed at Pozo Beach.
- Surrounded by palm trees, the Fanatic Boarders Centre is located directly on the beach next to the Hotel Orquidea within the Bahia Feliz Resort, and is open every day for windsurf equipment rental and windsurfing tuition. The centre also has a rescue boat on standby. There is also limited space available (approx. 4-5 persons) for those with their own equipment Read more...
Pozo has some accommodation for windsurfers. There is the Centro International de Windsurf windsurfing hostel overlooking the beach that also has windsurfing storage. There are also apartments to rent out in Pozo, but at busy times in the summer, particularly during the PWA world cup in July, accommodation in Pozo may be hard to find, and it may be necessary to search for some in Arinaga, or the big resorts to the South between Bahia Feliz and Maspalomas.
The accommodation options in Pozo are not family or resort style. They tend to be more budget oriented and are more suited to dedicated windsurfers that have come to Pozo to sail only.
- 50 Knots Hostel is located on the beachfront on the North end of Pozo and is for 18 year olds+ Rooms contain 2 single beds or double bed plus bunks and a self-cater kitchen. There is a shared lounge/tv area and outdoor terrace. Free wifi is provided and free on-street parking is available. Read more...
- Guesthouse Ca Artu is located near the beach in Pozo and offers single bunk beds in 6-bed dorms, double rooms and family rooms for up to 4 guests. All rooms used shared bathroom facilities. There is a communal lounge area with TV as well as communal kitchen. An Italian breakfast is included in the nightly rate. Towels are provided and Read more...
- CIW Hostel is located right on the beach at Pozo and doubles as a diving resort. It has bedrooms for singles, twin/doubles and triples all with shared bathroom facilities. Rooms have either pool views or sea views. There is a communal lounge / TV area and a large pool for guests. Free street parking is available in the area and Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Flat Water Blasting
- Bump and Jump
- Advanced Wave Sailing
- Intermediate Wave Sailing
- Small Waves
- Large Waves
- Open Sea
- Moderate Temp Water
- Salt Water
- Shore Break
- Difficult Launching
- On-site Parking
- Free Parking
- Kite Shop
- Windsurfer Shop
- Shore Break
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>