Diani Beach (Kenya)
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing at Diani Beach, Kenya
Diani Beach is a beach resort on the Indian Ocean coast of Kenya located 30 kilometres south of Mombasa.
This resort appeals to a broad audience including families, honeymooners, backpackers and people who like a bit of a party.
But Diani Beach is also an incredible destination for kitesurfers & windsurfers…..
The weather in this area excels with all-year-around tropical and warm temperatures. The average air temperature is around 30 degrees, water temperature about 26 degrees allowing for a wetsuit-free water sports vacation.
In Kenya they experience two wind seasons each year:
- KASKAZI, N/NE trade wind, blowing from mid December until mid of March; and
- KUZI, S/SE trade wind, blowing from June until mid September.
The Kaskazi wind is a very reliable and steady wind with an average wind speed of 15-20 knots. Wind usually starts blowing about 10.30 am and last all day until 6/7 pm providing for a huge window of potential sailing time. As the general air temperature is very hot, the density of the air is not as high as in cooler spots around Europe, USA or South Africa.
The Kuzi season is the cooler season (winter). The wind generally blows stronger with an average of 18-22 knots, but is slightly less consistent. Due to tropical rain storms passing through the wind and weather are more difficult to predict. The Kuzi usually brings decent sized swell with it: From June until October the area gets waves between 1.5 m and 3 m on big days. Perfect conditions to kite surf on windy days or to surf on no-wind days.
At low tide the water is flat and speed sailing/ flat-water blasting is exceptional due to the reef barrier. As the tide rises so does the chop and small waves making it ideal for bump-and-jump.
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Centres
- H2O Extreme Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Centre H2O Extreme is a full-service windsurfing & kitesurfing centre also offering surfing, SUPping and Sea Kayaks. The centre is located at Galu Beach (to the south of Diani Beach) right on the beach-front. Lessons Windsurfing Lessons Take place white sanded Galu Beach with its warm and turquoise coloured water. Lessons are available for kids Read more...
- Quest Kiteboarding Centre, Daini Beach Quest Kiteboarding is a dedicated kitesurfing centre located on Diani Beach in Kenya. The centre is located on the tropical lawns of the Diani Sea Lodge opposite Tandoori Bar where you can hang out between sessions on the water. Kitesurfing Lessons Quest provide lessons for children through to adults utilising IKO qualified instructors. With direct Read more...
- Star Rating:
Diani Sea Lodge This hotel offer the ultimate tropical paradise and is located right in the water’s edge and is also the base for Quest Kiteboarding. Animal life abounds in the compound and various varieties of monkeys including the endangered Colobus monkey, can be seen jumping around in the vicinity. The hotel offers double/ twin rooms and family rooms for Read more...
- Star Rating:
The Sands at Nomad The Sands at Nomad is a luxurious boutique hotel located in central Diani Beach. The hotel’s facilities are set on 26 acres of pristine coastal forest, where you can find monkeys, bush babies and other indigenous inhabitants. The style of the hotel doesn’t compare to the typical block hotel concept, but persuades with a contemporary mix Read more...
- Star Rating:
Kenyaways Kite Village If you are looking to Kitesurf with H2O Kitesurfing this is possibly the best place to stay if it’s within your budget. H2O Kitesurfing operate from the lawns at the front of the property adjacent to the Salty Squid Beach Bar. The property is a guest house with only 10 rooms and offers a cozy and familiar Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Flat Water Blasting
- Bump and Jump
- Longboard Cruising
- Intermediate Wave Sailing
- Flat Water
- Warm Water
- Salt Water
- Easy Launching
- Public Toilets
- Kite Shop
- Windsurfer Shop
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>