Main Beach, Le Morne (Mauritius)
Point Le Morne on the site of the RIU Hotel Resorts is a popular launching area for windsurfers and kiters and is where ION Club has its Kite & windsurfing centres located.
Directly off the beach is the big lagoon, which is protected by the reef about 600m away from the beach. The beach shelves gently and is sandy.
The lagoon is sailable at all tides except when it is really low, when it becomes too shallow to windsurf. The tidal range is about 1.2m max.
In the mornings when the winds are usually a bit lighter, beginners can learn in the shallow and sandy flat water just in front the of the windsurf centre. This is also an ideal opportunity to take out kids windsurfing. As the wind rises in the morning, this becomes the perfect launching spot for intermediate and advanced windsurfers to launch and blast in and out in cross shore conditions, The water remains flat until mid to high tide, when a surface chop develops on the water.
As it gets windier the area is then shared with kitesurfers who either launch at the Main Beach or sail upwind from the Kitesurf training area around the corner to the left.
There are a few spots in front of the Main Beach that get reformed waves rolling through to stand up and break. These are generally knee to waist high,, and provide a safe learning environment for those who have never sailed in waves before. If the winds are light, it is possible to take a windsup out to play in these smaller waves.
At high tide the current can be very strong, and can take the sailor out through the channel between the reefs if they get into trouble. There is a lookout at the ION Centre, and a rescue boat, but unless you are hiring your equipment from the centre, you will be charged a high price to be rescued. If the tide is very high and the wind very strong, coupled to a large outer ocean swell, then the ION Club centre will order its clients off the water, and no rescue cover will be available.
A shorty wetsuit is recommended in the winter months, as well as booties to protect your feet from the coral if it is shallow. These can be hired from the ION Club.ABILITIES:
Le Morne provides conditions for all levels of sailor and all disciplines.
The hotels are ideal for honeymooners and romantic couples, but singles may get bored unless they are involved in windsurfing or kitesurfing. The resorts are family friendly, with some more than others better suited to children.POTENTIAL HAZARDS:
At high tides the currents within the lagoon and on the reefs can be very strong, and can take the sailor out to sea through the channel between the reefs. Paying attention to the safety recommendations of the hire centres that operate the rescue services is important.
The sea bed can be very shallow in parts, and it is advisable to wear protective booties to protect feet from the coral.
There is no shortage of places to rent equipment & get a lesson in the Le Morne area whether you are a complete novice or expert there is something for everyone....
- The ION Club windsurfing Centre is located on the grounds of the Riu Creole hotel. The centre is located at the left of the Main Beach, near the corner leading to the Kitesurfing lagoon. The club is stocked with Fanatic boards and North sails. The club has mainly wave, freestyle and freemove boards, ranging from 76 litres to 120, with Read more...
- Mauritius is a dream destination for all windsurfers. The unique spot of Le Morne delivers perfect conditions for teaching beginners and intermediates in the shallow lagoon, for cruising and freestyling at the point and for waveriding from entry to expert at different reefbreaks like Manawa, Small Reef and Oneeye. SION runs the latest 2016 gear from Hawaiian based brands Quatro Read more...
- No.1 ranked Kite-school on Tripadvisor in Mauritius! You’ll find professional solutions for excellent holidays: Qualified, professional, experienced. Air Switch provides the latest equipment from one of the world’s leading brands: CORE KITEBOARDING. Huge lagoons – with the best shallow water and an extraordinary panorama, are located directly in front of the impressive mountain and world cultural heritage site “Le Brabant”. Read more...
- Hang Loose Tours offer kitesurfing tuition for first-timers, families, kids, freestyle & waves. Learn to kite surf in paradise with Hang Loose Tours Mauritius! We believe that challenging yourself through sport makes you feel free and happy. We are offering all different kind of lessons formats depending on your level and your personal preference. Our instructors are all IKO certified Read more...
- The centre has various boards, and kite sizes ranging from 5.0m² – 17m² Harnesses, wetsuits, booties and helmets can also be hired, but can have limited availability. Renting your equipment from the centre will also cover you for rescue should you need it. If the centre manager considers the conditions to be too dangerous then the centre is shut down Read more...
- Established experience under the name of Kitebreak and now pebreanded into the project Kite Camp Mauritius gives you unique opportunity to explore Mauritian Island from all its aspects, sport, leisure and beauty! We offer you all in one packages or individual programmes. Luxury and low sector accommodation, cars for rent at your choice, kite lessons from free beginner’s courses to Read more...
- Our kitesurfing services are adapted to both your level and goals : You don’t know anything about wind or riding : no worries ! Our experienced and qualified instructors lead you lesson after lesson to make you learn this sport You have already had kitsurfing lessons and you want to go on increasing your skills : we evaluate your level Read more...
- Le Morne Kite School is based in the south western point of Mauritius, on the exceptional spot of Le Morne Brabant. Here you will find different kite spots to meet every kiteboarders needs. Kite Lagoon is located 10minutes from La Gaulette and is within 5minutes of the following hotels Paradis Hotel and Golf Club – 5min by car / 25min Read more...
- DISCOVERY COURSE Discover the world of kitesurfing. Short theory and introduction to equipment and safety systems followed by fun of flying a kite. You will learn all the basic kite flying techniques and experience the power of kite while body-surfing on your own in safe conditions. 5000 MUR for 2 hours. Group up to 3 persons. Equipment included. BEGINNERS COURSE Read more...
- Yoaneye kite school is located on the Morne peninsula in the south west of the island. The Morne site is a beautiful spot to learn and practice this extreme sport. This spot reunites perfect conditions, from the wind, the warm shallow turquoise bleu water, sunshine all year round and the nice waves. This Spot is absolute perfection, the sportsman’s Paradis, Read more...
Le Morne Accommodation
There are a number of all inclusive resorts in Le Morne, which although not cheap, are located extremely close to the windsurfing and kitesurfing centres and launch areas. They all have beachside locations.
Those that want to save money can stay in the pensions that are fairly close by. They are used to catering to windsurfers, surfers and kiters.
La Gaulette is one such place. This is a sleepy fishing village that is ten minutes' drive from Le Morne and has cheaper accommodation than the resort hotels. There are also a number of bars and restaurants to be found there.
Hiring a car or car sharing is the most popular form of transport to get to the beach and other areas.
- Isola Bella Luxury Villa located in Riviere Noire offers great value self-cater units for 1 – 6 guests. All units have a kitchen, dining area & seating area with TV and 3 bedrooms. Some units have air conditioning and there is an outdoor pool on-site plus garden & bbq. Read more...
- Solstice Kite Villa is located in La Gauletto and is a self-cater 2-bedroom apartment for up to 4 guests and is very good value. It has 1 bedroom, a living area with TV, kitchen and bathroom plus a terrace. Free parking is available and they offer on-site car rental. Read more...
- Star Rating:
Dinarobin Beachcomber Le Morne is a 5-star luxury resort hotel located on the beachfront of the Lagoon in Le Morne. The property features lush tropical gardens, lovely swimming pools, 4 restaurants, a bar and all rooms have a balcony with ocean views. Services include day spa with massage treatments, sauna, gym and a bunch of resort activities. The resort offers Read more...
- Hotel Riu Le Morne is an ADULTS ONLY all inclusive waterfront resort (and it also incorporates Hotel Riu Creole). The resort is the perfect location for for windsurfers with easy access to the lagoon & waves and is just a stone’s-throw up the beach from Club ION Windsurfing Centre. The kitesurf launching areas are also just a little further around Read more...
- This property is 1 minute walk from the beach and 1.5km from the windsurfing & kitesurfing launching areas. Situated on a white, sandy Mauritius beach, LUX* Le Morne features 5 pools, a spa and 3 restaurants. Guests can relax in LUX* Me Spa’s Turkish hammam, enjoy a massage or play tennis. Activities offered include kite surfing and snorkeling plus hotel Read more...
- This property is 11 minutes walk from the beach and 3 kms from the kite & windsurfing launching areas. The luxurious Paradis Beachcomber is located on Mauritius’ Le Morne Peninsula. Surrounded by beaches, palm trees and with a large pool, it also features 4 restaurants and an 18-hole championship golf course. Rooms and suites are decorated in natural tones and Read more...
- This five star all inclusive resort is a fifteen minute stroll along the beach to the windsurfing and kitesurfing launch areas. It has its own watersports centre, and has a boat service that takes surfers out to the reef at first light, and a boat service that takes people south to the Windsurf and Kitesurf Centres if they require it. Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Flat Water Blasting
- Bump and Jump
- Longboard Cruising
- Advanced Wave Sailing
- Intermediate Wave Sailing
- Flat Water
- Small Waves
- Moderate Temp Water
- Salt Water
- Sand Bars
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>