Windsurfing & Kitesurfing – Tarifa, Spain
Tarifa, Spain is known as the windy capital of Europe, with year round windsurfing and kitesurfing. Holidays are available with the choice of budget and luxury hotels and the windsurfing and kitesurfing centre located directly on the spot. Situated on the most southern tip of Spain, projecting into the Straits of Gibraltar that separate Spain and Morocco, With a wide choice of flights, airports and short travelling times, this venue is suitable for either a long weekend trip or a longer stay. Tarifa provides a lively beach holiday, with the summer months being the most busy and buzzing.
Sailing Spot and Conditions
Tarifa stands on the exposed eastern cusp of an open bay of 11kms of white sand. Located on a curved, sandy beach around 10 minutes west of Tarifa old town, Valdevaqueros Beach is our recommended windsurfing and kitesurfing area because of its vast expanse of open water. This spot is ideal for intermediates and above as at the height of summer it can get very busy on the water and have strong wind conditions up to 8bft on big days with some of the very best wind stats in Europe. The sheltered bay area at Las Dunas on the western side of Valdevaqueros, provides more suitable learning conditions for beginners. With the strong winds during summer months the water is usually flat, during autumn and winter waves can get up to 2 meters. In autumn and spring, the Poniente blows from the west, with side shore to cross onshore winds) bringing more choppy waters. During the summer months, the dominant Levante wind blows cross off-shore from the east (left) to side shore and can ready 30 knots or more. With the jet effect in the Straits, the prevailing winds get additional force and acceleration, making Tarifa one of the best spots in Europe for high wind.
There are over a dozen named spots in Tarifa including Playa Chica, Balneario, Campo de Futbol, La Charca, Rio Jara, Los Lances, Arte Vida, Hotel Hurricane, Torre de la Peña, Valdevaqueros, Las Dunas, Punta Paloma, Bolonia & Caños de Meca.
Surfing, SUPping, whale watching, hiking, Mountain Biking, Horse Riding, Cultural attractions.
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Spots
- Windsurfing & Kitesurfing at Valdevaqueros Beach Valdevaqueros is known to be the best sailing spot ion Tarifa and is the home of ION-Club and other centres. Tarifa stands on the exposed eastern cusp of an open bay of 11 kms of white sand. Located on a curved, sandy beach around 10 minutes west of Tarifa old town, Valdevaqueros Beach is Read more...
- Los Lances Beach Los Lances Beach is located approximately 3 km north of the town of Tarifa between Rio Jara camping ground and Hotel Dos Mares. The 3 km long sandy beach is over 100 m wide providing plenty of room for rigging kites & windsurfers. The spot has a great restaurant/bar hang-out area which has sheltered seating and free Read more...
- Hurricane is a windsurfer only spot in Tarifa as kites are not permitted on the beach in front of the Hurricane Hotel. When the Levante easterly winds blow the water is flat and sheltered near the shore making it ideal for beginners and those wanting to improve their skills. When the Poniente wind blows this area has some of the Read more...
Windsurfing Kitesurfing Services in Tarifa
There is now shortage of places to get kitesurfing or windsurfing lessons or to rent gear in Tarifa.
Windsurfing & Kitesurfing Centres
- Surf Centre Tarifa Surf Center Tarifa is located in one of the best wind destinations in Europe, at Los Lances Beach, 4 km from Tarifa, inside the Hotel Arte Vida . This great spot has great flat-water sailing and also has incredible views of Africa. The centre is just 50m from the launching area & they offer kitesurfing & windsurfing Read more...
- ION Club Valdevaqueros ION Club Valdevaqueros is located right amongst all of the action in this iconic sailing spot. They offer kitesurfing rental and lessons, windsurfing rental and lessons, stand up paddling & sailing trips Read more...
- Laduna is a Windsurf and kitesurf centre in Tarifa, Spain. The centre is located right at the beach in Andalusian coast and has the benefit of a lagoon which is ideal for beginners & freeriders. The lagoon only operates from September to July due to tides. The centre offers quality kite & windsurfer rentals as well as lessons for both Read more...
- Tarifa Spinout is a full-service windsurfing and kitesurfing centre offering equipment rentals & lessons. The centre is located right on the beach-front in the Valdevaqueros beach which is one of the best spots on the planet for windsurfing and kitesurfing. The centre has a great hang-out bar right next door. Read more...
- ION Club Hurricane is located in front of the Hotel Hurricane right on the beach. This area is a little quieter than other areas along the beach and has a bit more of a chilled atmosphere & is great for families. As this beach does not permit kiteboarding, this a windsurfing only centre. For kiters, go to the ION Club Read more...
- Star Rating:
Hotel THe Tarifa Lances is located on the Northern end of the town of Tarifa. The 4-star hotel has rooms catering for 1 – 3 guests. All rooms have air conditioning, TV, a terrace, private bathroom with a shower and all rooms are non-smoking. The hotel features a spa/wellness centre, indoor & outdoor pools, a fitness centre and solarium. There Read more...
- Star Rating:
Hostal Tarifa is located in Tarifa and is only 10 mins walk to the beach & 5 mins walk to the town centre. Rooms are single and twin and have a private bathroom with toiletries, flat-screen TV and air-conditioning. Each room has a private terrace and all are non-smoking. Free wifi is available and car parking is available for an Read more...
- Star Rating:
South Hostel Tarifa is a great budget option if you are happy to stay in dorm rooms with shared bathroom facilities. The property is located about 10 mins drive from central Tarifa and 5-10 mins walk to the beach. The hostel is also a kitesurfing centre where you can book kite lessons. Rooms all have bunk beds with either 6, Read more...
- Star Rating:
Hotel Hurricane is located on the beach and is base for the ION Club Hurricane and has beautiful ocean views. This beach is for windsurfers only so this hotel is an ideal place to stay for those just wanting to windsurf at this location each day. Rooms are Double/twin however some room types allow for the addition of a cot Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Family Friendly
- Kids Facilities
- Accommodation Nearby
- Non-Sailor Activities
- Solo Male Traveler
- Solo Female Traveler
- Romantic Couple
- Family With Infant(s)
- Family With Young Children
- Family With Teenager(s)
- Male Group
- Female Group
- Mixed Group
- Flat Water
- Warm Water
- Sandy Beach
- Sailing Centre(s)
- Equipment Rentals
- Beach Swimming
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>