Balmoral, Sydney Harbour (NSW, Australia)
Balmoral is located in Mossman on Sydney’s spectacular harbour.
It is a very popular spot for beach goers and can get extremely busy on weekends over summer.
It is also a popular spot for windsurfers looking for some flat-water-blasting and bump-and-jump.
The typical summer NE breeze is on-shore and the water waist-deep for a reasonable way out making it great for beginners.
If you want to take a formal lesson, Balmoral Watersports offer windsurfing lessons (2 hours morning and afternoons). They also hire big windsurfers if you are looking for a windsurfer to cruise around on.
Balmoral is also good in E/ESE (but the wind is not often in this direction). In a SE some sailors still sail off Clontarf beach. It is not the longest run but the wind funnels through there in that direction.
Access & Launching
On weekends and generally good weather days, one of the challenges is getting a parking spot. So this may ultimate dictate where you launch from. Also be aware that parking is quite expensive even for a couple of hours.
- Between the rock pool and the signs – this is generally an easy launch however there is a wind shadow here so bigger boards are generally required to get out. Once away from the point it’s usually straight on the plane and upwind to Middle Head where the Grotto wind funnel is at it’s best. You must to stay out of the swimming area marked by yellow buoys.
- South Balmoral Beach – you can also launch (legally) from the south end car park, near the sailing club. It is a bit of a hassle sailing through the moored boats in gusty wind before reaching open water.
- Edwards Beach – this is not actually a dedicated area for windsurfing however if you just get in to the water and head out slowly (or swim your gear out) until you hit open water you will be ok. Parking is still free of charge here for the first 2 hours and you launch from the beach directly in front. Beach goers tend to leave as the NE kicks in as it can become unpleasant on the beach.
- Clontarf – this launch is on the other side of the bay and has a good short speed run towards Chinaman’s Creek in SE breeze.
As mentioned above, Balmoral Watersports offer windsurfing lessons and windsurfing hire.
Balmoral Sailing Club welcomes windsurfer members and hold regular racing events for windsurfers of various disciplines.
- Balmoral Water Sports is located on Sydney Harbour in Mossman and operate from the downstairs area of the Balmoral Sailing Club. Windsurfing Lessons They offer lessons for absolute beginners wanting to learn the basics of windsurfing to advanced sailors wanting to progress their skills. Lessons are run by experienced instructors in the mornings and afternoons for a 2 hour period. Read more...
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- Flat Water Blasting
- Speed Sailing
- Bump and Jump
- Longboard Cruising
- Flat Water
- Moderate Temp Water
- Salt Water
- On-site Parking
- Public Toilets
New South Wales
If you have any feedback or would like to contribute some additional information or pictures about this spot please contact us here>>